Legacy Programs Successful
The Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) allows proven financing tools to be applied to at-risk public and assisted housing and has two components. RAD 2nd Component was created in order to give owners of HUD’s legacy programs: Rent Supplement, Rental Assistance Payment (RAP), Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation, and Moderate Rehab Single Room Occupancy (SRO) funded by McKinney-Vento, the opportunity to enter into long-term contracts that facilitate the financing of improvements.
Owners may choose between two forms of long-term Section 8 Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contracts: project-based vouchers (PBVs) or project-based rental assistance (PBRA). RAD's original authorizing statute established December 31, 2014 as the expiration date for HUD's RAD 2ndComponent conversion authority. However, the FY15 appropriations act enacted by Congress on December 11, 2014, made important improvements to the Rental Assistance Demonstration including:
- Eliminated the sunset date for Rent Supplement, Rental Assistance Payment and Mod Rehab conversions under RAD 2.
- Authorized HUD to develop a PBRA conversion option for RAD 2nd Component properties.
- Extended RAD 2nd Component conversion eligibility to Section 8 Mod Rehab Single Room Occupancy (SRO) properties, making them eligible for RAD.
Today, the Second Component further allows owners of projects funded pursuant to Project Rental Assistance Contracts under the Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly program (202 PRAC) to convert to PBV or PBRA contracts. For more information on RAD statutes and the current Notice revision, visit RAD's Statutes, Notices, Regulations & Tools. Contact us at RAD2@hud.gov if you have additional questions.
- RAD Mod Rehab Fact Sheets: PHAs and Owners | Residents | Continums of Care (CoCs)
- Affordable Housing Preservation through RAD 2
- RAD for Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Properties
- PBV vs. PBRA Comparison Chart
- RAD for Multifamily Training (on the RAD Resource Desk)
- List of Properties Closed under RAD Multifamily (Microsft Excel File, 12/22/2022)
- Potential RAD Mod Rehab Projects (Microsft Excel File, 12/22/2022)
- List of Mod Rehab PHAs under 2nd Component (COMING SOON!)