Home / LAHousingAccess


Do you have a disability and can’t find affordable, accessible rental housing in the City of Los Angeles?

Do you live in an affordable housing development in the City of Los Angeles, but need an apartment with accessible features because of your disability?

HUD provides federal funds to the City of Los Angeles intended to build and rehabilitate affordable, accessible housing for families with low to moderate income. People with disabilities have the right to equally benefit from the City’s affordable housing programs.

HUD is concerned that individuals and families who need accessible features in their home because of a disability have been excluded from these important programs because of discriminatory practices and inaccessible construction. HUD wants to change this, and you can help.

If you believe you have been affected by the lack of accessible housing in the City of Los Angeles, please take a moment to tell us your story.

i. How to Submit Information About the Lack of Accessible Housing in the City of Los Angeles:

HUD has identified hundreds of affordable housing developments funded by the City of Los Angeles that may have discriminatory policies in place or may not have been constructed or rehabilitated to comply with federal accessibility requirements. Please review this list of properties.

ii. We’d like to hear from you:

  • If you are a person with a disability who has tried to live in any of these properties but could not because of your disability.
  • If you currently live in one of these properties and are experiencing accessibility barriers in your housing.
  • If you are aware of accessibility problems or disability discrimination in any of these properties.

iii. These are a few common physical accessibility barriers inside and outside of buildings and in apartments that you may have experienced in these properties:

  • Bathrooms and kitchens that are too small, preventing a wheelchair user from turning around, transferring, or using appliances
  • Uninsulated pipes beneath kitchen and bathroom sinks
  • Missing or improperly mounted grab bars
  • Cabinets under kitchen and bathroom sinks
  • Range or oven controls mounted behind burners or not within reach
  • Toilets, bathtubs, and showers that prevent safe wheelchair transfer
  • Tripping hazards, steep ramps, and dangerous slopes throughout units and buildings
  • Narrow closets that cannot be used from a wheelchair
  • Doors within developments and units that are too heavy
  • Balconies with a step or high door threshold
  • Buildings with steps and no ramps or curb ramps
  • Lack of parking for persons with disabilities
  • Inaccessible laundry rooms and machines
  • Units and buildings without features for persons with vision and hearing disabilities (e.g., strobe light alarms).

iv. If you would like to submit information, please provide the following information to LAHousingAccess@hud.gov:

  1. Your name;
  2. Your contact information (telephone number, mailing address, other email addresses);
  3. The names of properties on the list where you currently reside, previously resided, or tried to reside;
  4. A description of accessibility barriers you have experienced or efforts you have made to find accessible apartments in these properties; and
  5. Any other information you believe indicates accessibility problems at any of these properties.

Thank you for submitting information to LAHousingAccess@hud.gov. We appreciate your willingness to share your story with us.

We may contact you to ask for more information or to discuss your situation. The information you share here is not a formal complaint of discrimination.

If you believe you have been discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, familial status or disability and wish to file a complaint of housing discrimination, please visit our website to learn how to file a complaint with HUD or call 1-800-669-9777.

HUD’s review does not involve housing operated by the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles or affordable housing outside of the City of Los Angeles. If you believe you have experienced discrimination in housing not covered in this review, you also may contact HUD to find out how to file a complaint with HUD or call 1-800-669-9777.

For more information about FHEO’s efforts to address the City of Los Angeles’ inaccessible housing, please refer to: HUD’s Press Release or Read the Supplemental Letter of Findings. For more information about federal accessibility laws enforced by HUD, please refer to FHEO’s Disability Overview webpage.