||Albany HA (NY)|
||Colorado Springs HA (CO)|
||Umatilla HA (OR)|
Challenges and Tips for Success
- Partnerships can save agencies time and money by preventing
duplicate work and by allowing each agency to focus on the services
that it is best able to provide. For example, a PHA that uses
its local TANF agency to provide WtW-client case management saves
time and money by being able to focus only on the leasing aspects
of their WtW.
- While most agencies with successful TANF/DOL partnerships report
that they began forming these partnerships before the WtW program
even started, it is important for all PHAs to cultivate these
partnerships when possible; TANF and DOL agencies can provide
significant resources to help sustain a successful WtW program.
Tips for Success:
Five key steps to forming successful partnerships with TANF &
DOL include the following:
- Be proactive.
- It's key to seek relationships with people who have power
to make decisions and get things done. This may take time,
but the benefits are worth the time investment.
- If possible, request dedicated TANF resources. One agency
has an on-site, full-time job specialist from its local TANF
agency who provides great help to the agency and its clients.
- PHAs should leverage TANF/DOL resources further by forming
relationships with support service agencies, not just TANF/DOL
- Form and cultivate relationships.
- Maintain regular contact by regularly calling your partner
agencies, asking questions, and requesting release of mutual
client information. One agency initiates monthly meetings
with its partners to keep communication open and partners
- Execute a MOU.
- Successful partnerships usually have a specific, formal,
written agreement that specifies both agencies' duties and
- A signed MOU puts "teeth" into your program and
- Share Resources.
- Sharing resources will save both agencies a lot of work.
For example, some agencies share resources with TANF and DOL
partners by linking their computer systems and sharing funds
- A key to sharing resources is for both agencies to remember
the mutual goals of TANF and WtW.
- Monitor/Track Resuts.
- Successful agencies highlight their program's successes
to illustrate to their partners that the partnership is succeeding
and is beneficial. Give your partners proof that they are
in a win-win situation.
- For example, some agencies share monthly information about
their WtW families' activities with their TANF partner. This
information includes the number and explanations of WtW program
terminations and successes/graduations.
Note: For more tips
on forming successful partnerships, view the
Partnership Resources section of this Web site.