Completing the Deal: Improving Administrative Practices to Expedite Lease-up
After the family finds an affordable and desirable unit, it is
critical that the leasing phase proceed quickly to complete the
leasing-up process within the specified requirements of the program.
Consider revising PHA internal procedures, policies, and processes
to facilitate and expedite the leasing process. For example:
- Give priority to processing WtW families. Streamline procedures
for completing HQS inspections, rent reasonableness determinations,
and lease and HAP processing. Examples of streamlined procedures
- Giving priority to new unit inspections and re-inspections of
- Offering more scheduling times for new unit inspections and
re-inspections of WtW units.
- Offering pre-inspection of units owned by landlords willing
to rent to WtW families;
- Giving priority to conducting rent reasonableness determinations
of WtW units and reduce the turnaround time for determining rent
- Aggressively negotiating rents within the rent reasonableness
- Creating a dedicated phone line for receiving questions from
WtW landlords and families; and
- Providing general assistance with obtaining inspections and
lease approvals and more closely monitoring the leasing process.
- Inform partner agencies, WtW families, and owners of the timing
of the leasing process so they will have realistic expectations
and adhere to these deadlines.
- Consider dedicating a staff person(s) to process all WtW families.
- Provide training to staff so they understand the WtW voucher
program and its objectives and understand how processing for these
families may differ.