[Logo: Homes and Communities: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development] Public and Indian Housing
[Vea la versión en español de esta página] [Contact Us] [Display the text version of this page] [Search/Index]
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Public and Indian Housing
About PIH
Public housing
Asset Management
Senior Housing Clearinghouse Center
Choice Neighborhoods
Housing Choice Vouchers
 - Public Housing Reform
 - - QHWRA overview
 - - Related rules & notices
Indian Housing
Rental Housing Integrity Improvement Project
Real Estate Assessment
Notices, rules & regulations
Online systems

HUD news




Working with HUD
Mailing lists
RSS Feeds

[The U.S. government's official web portal]  

Admission and Occupancy FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are questions and answers on the final rule "Changes to the Admission and Occupancy Requirements in the Public Housing and Section 8 Housing Assistance Programs," published on March 29, 2000.


V. Pets in General Occupancy Developments (24 CFR 960.707)

Q1: Must a PHA consult with the Resident Advisory Board in developing a pet policy?

A1: Because the pet policy is a part of the PHA Plan, the Resident Advisory Board has a role in development of the pet policy.

Q2: Can a PHA require a resident to have a pet spayed or neutered?

A2: A PHA is permitted to establish reasonable requirements, which may include having the pet spayed or neutered.

Q3: Can a PHA require a resident to have a pet’s vocal chords removed?

A3: PHAs are prohibited from requiring that pet owners remove their pet’s vocal chords.

Q4: Can a PHA charge both a pet deposit and a pet fee?

A4: A PHA is permitted to establish reasonable requirements that may include payment of a non-refundable nominal fee to cover the reasonable operating costs to the development relating to the presence of pets, a refundable pet deposit to cover additional costs attributable to the presence of the pet in the unit and not otherwise covered, or both.

Q5: Can a public housing resident own more than one pet?

A5: Ownership of pets in public housing must be consistent with reasonable requirements established by the PHA.

Q6: Can a resident have a pit bull as a pet?

A6: In establishing reasonable requirements, the PHA may place a prohibition on types of animals it classifies as dangerous, provided that such classifications are consistent with applicable State and local law and prohibitions on individual animals, based on certain factors including the size and weight of the animals.

Q7: Can a PHA require a resident to register a pet?

A7: Yes.

Q8: Is a resident allowed to keep another person’s pet temporarily (for example, for a 2-week period while a friend is out of town)?

A8: Only if the PHA’s pet policy permits it.

Q9: When must a PHA begin to to include its pet policies in its Annual Plan?

A9: Pet policies must be a part of the PHA Plan beginning with PHA fiscal years that commence on or after January 1, 2001.

<<Previous | I | II | III | IV | V

  Follow this link to go  Back to Top   
FOIA Privacy Web Policies and Important Links  Home [logo: Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity]
[Logo: HUD seal] U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
Find the address of a HUD office near you