What does the regulation require?
For certain programs such as tenant-based Section 8 rental assistance,
the HUD Regulation on Lead-Based Paint Hazards in Federally Owned
Housing and Housing Receiving Federal Assistance requires:
- Visual assessment of housing units for deteriorated paint
- The stabilization and repair of all deteriorated paint
- The visual assessor must be trained to perform a visual assessment
You will need to identify deteriorated paint in the units you evaluate.
All deteriorated paint must be stabilized.
Programs affected by the lead regulation
Some of the programs affected by the new HUD lead regulation include:
- Project-Based Assistance Provided by a Federal Agency Other
- Project-Based Rental Assistance
- Acquisition, Leasing, Support Services, or Operation
(i.e., Down payment assistance, Emergency shelter, Leasing, Support
Visual Assessment is also conducted as a part of:
- LBP Risk Assessment (i.e., Repair of substrate damage, Clearance
examination conducted after lead hazard control activities)