[Logo: Homes and Communities: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development]
[Vea la versi�n en espa�ol de esta p�gina] [Contact Us] [Display the text version of this page] [Search/Index]
About HUD
About the Agency

Fair housing

What You Can Do
What Groups Can Do

Working with HUD
HUD Jobs
Web Clinics

Mailing Lists

[The U.S. government's official web portal]  

Homeowner Resources

- -
 Information by State
 Print version
What is HUD's Role in the Manufactured Housing Industry?

Under Federal law, HUD is responsible for oversight of the Federal Manufactured Housing Program in the United States. Under HUD regulations, the homes are required to be inspected at one stage of production by an inspection agency approved by HUD. In addition, the manufacturer has an approved quality control program in place throughout the production process. A HUD label is applied to each home section, by the manufacturer, to indicate that it is in compliance with the HUD Code. Additionally, Subpart I of the Manufactured Home Procedural and Enforcement Regulations (24CFR 3282.401-416) dictates certain procedures the manufacturer/retailer must follow should they become aware of a problem with a home after it has been shipped from the manufacturing facility.

Does Federal Law Provide Me with Any Other Rights, as the Owner of a Manufactured Home?

Yes. Federal law provides for a manufacturer to notify the original purchaser, and subsequent purchasers whose names and addresses are known, of performance- and safety-related defects that are discovered by the manufacturer. The manufacturer also may be required to correct these defects, if they create an unreasonable risk of injury or death or are related to design or assembly errors. A retailer who sells a manufactured home is reqUired to register with the manufacturer the information necessary to prOVide such notification of defect.

If I Have A Problem with My Home, Whom Do I Contact?

First, contact your retailer. Then follow up with a written list of problems to the retailer, manufacturer, and installer. You should keep a copy of all correspondence for your personal records. Follow up any correspondence with a call to the retailer and/or manufacturer to discuss your problems and schedule a service appointment. If your home is not repaired within a reasonable time period, or if the responsible party refuses to make repairs, you should contact the State Administrative Agency (SAA) that has been approved by HUD to administer and oversee the Federal Manufactured Housing Program in your State. The SAA may assist the homeowner in resolving problems with a manufactured home if the manufacturer and/or retailer has been unresponsive to the homeowner's service request. If you live in a State that is not listed in either the homeowner's manual or this booklet, you will need to contact HUD in Washington, D.C., at 1-800-927-2891, FAX number: (202) 708-4213, email address: mhs@hud.gov. Be prepared to give the SAA or HUD the following information: your name, address, city, state, home and work phone numbers, email address, if available, your home's HUD label and serial number(s), and the manufacturer's and retailer's names and phone numbers.

Additional information is available to consumers who have access to the Internet by visiting the Manufactured Housing home page.


  Follow this link to go  Back to top   
FOIA Privacy Web Policies and Important Links  Home [logo: Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity]
[Logo: HUD seal] U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
Find the address of a HUD office near you